WE (Women Everywhere) Breastfeed
Need breastfeeding help, reassurance, or someone who has been there to lend an ear? Women Everywhere (WE) Breastfeed volunteers are here for you.
WHAT WE DO
The WE Breastfeed program matches trained and experienced volunteers with mothers who are nursing and need support, and mothers who are pregnant and want to learn about breastfeeding.
- Volunteers are respectful of whatever feeding choices mothers make, knowing that any breastfeeding is beneficial and that longer breastfeeding – up to two years and beyond – is ideal.
- WE Breastfeed supports mothers feeding breast milk in any way, in any amount.
WHAT WE OFFER
You can be matched with a WE Breastfeed volunteer for one-on-one breastfeeding support. Call our program co-ordinator at 519-821-6638 ext. 250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Volunteers are also on-hand at free, weekly drop-in breastfeeding cafés to answer your questions. Cafés are a great place to meet other breastfeeding families, have a hot cup of free coffee or tea, and enjoy some playtime with your kids.
- Every Wednesday 1 pm – 2:30 pm at the Guelph Community Health Centre, in the Children’s Room, 176 Wyndham St. N. (Open July and August 2015)
- NEW! Every Monday 10 am – 11:30 am at the East End Library, at 1 Starwood Drive beginning March 2. 1 Starwood Drive - (Open July and August 2015)
- NEW! Starting in January 2015, every Friday from 10 to 11:30 am in the community room at Westwood Public School, 495 Willow Rd.
(NOTE: Westwood will be closed July and August 2015. Our last café will be on June 19, 2015).
Everyone interested in breastfeeding and older siblings are welcome (up to age six at the downtown café and no age limit at Grange or Westwood.)
WHO WE SERVE
WE Breastfeed is a free program open to all new and expecting parents in Guelph, and anyone interested in breastfeeding, regardless of gender identity, age, race, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic situation.
From April 2013 to March 2014:
- 54 mother-baby pairs matched with a volunteer
- 119 different mother-baby pairs attended the downtown Breastfeeding Café
Support is available in:
- American Sign Language
WHO WE ARE
WE Breastfeed has 42 volunteers, as of December 2014, who:
- Nursed their own babies for at least six months
- Completed the 18-hour World Health Organization/UNICEF breastfeeding source for peer support
- Address commonly experienced breastfeeding challenges
- Provide mums with reassurance, resources, and encouragement at any point in their breastfeeding journey
- Are available by phone anytime you need them
You can also connect with us on Facebook!
New volunteers are always welcome!
For information about other breastfeeding supports in Guelph, please call Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health, 1-800-265-7293 ext. 3616 or check out their website www.wdgpublichealth.ca. For further information on WE Breastfeed, please call Gail, (519) 821-6638 ext 250.
For more information contact 519-821-6638 ext. 250 or email@example.com